Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Seeing a Father's Love Through My Camera Lens

If you have attended a Kirksville Tigers Football game or any event my boys have been a part of, you have seen me. I am that crazy lady almost on the actual football field no matter how cold with that huge camera lens. Many people have no clue of my name or even which child is mine, but if someone explains me as the lady with the camera...usually everyone knows me.

One advantage I have to being that "camera lady" is seeing the action, love, laughter, and special moments in ways that others are unable to see from the naked eye view. I could spend hours sifting through photos on my camera, computer, or those that I have printed. There is never a time that a smile doesn't appear on my face from reliving the moments that I captured that special shot.

Of all the photos I have taken over the years, my favorites have been those watching a father's love grow as his children grow. This journey began sixteen years ago with the birth of his first son and continues today. Although he was a young father of only twenty-two when that little boy entered the world, he worked full-time and was still willing to pace countless hours attempting to quiet that crying baby. His love for that little boy never faltered through the screaming, teething, terrible two's and three's, finger painting on the walls, running into the garage door with the riding lawn mower, or the many other challenges over the years. This love was only increased when a second son was added to the dynamics a short two and a half years later.

I have had the privilege to have a front row seat in watching the love of a father and his sons change and mature as both the father and sons have also changed and matured. The added bonus is that I am not only the photographer, but the wife and mother.

Studies show that women tend to marry someone with similar characteristics to their fathers. If that is a true fact, then my husband had some huge shoes to fill. However, as I have watched my husband grow as a husband and a father I know that he is filling those shoes remarkably well. I can only hope that I have many more opportunities to view his love and growth through my camera lens before those boys venture away from home to start a similar story of love.

                                                  David playing with Colin as a little boy.
               One of my favorite pictures of David congratulating Domenic after a good football game.
                                              My boys making memories with their Dad!
                                          David enjoying the ocean and the sand with his boys.





No comments:

Post a Comment